Close Menu
    What's Trending

    2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

    ADC group vows to deliver Katsina for Atiku, Kaita

    Real Warri Pikin cancels Warri show, rejects tribal, political divisions

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Nexter News Nigeria
    • News
    • Politics

      ADC group vows to deliver Katsina for Atiku, Kaita

      August 15, 2026

      Accord factional chair Imumolen withdraws from presidential race, backs Tinubu

      August 6, 2026

      Advisory council inaugurates 26 LGA coordinators for Wadada’s 2027 guber bid in Nasarawa

      August 1, 2026

      Obanikoro says he no longer wants to be Lagos governor

      July 20, 2026

      ADC faction submits 2027 candidates, unveils Barkindo as running mate

      July 13, 2026
    • Business

      22 offshore projects to attract $30bn investment by 2030, says NUPRC CEO by

      August 6, 2026

      Dangote to donate one-third of his wealth to charity, daughter reveals

      July 28, 2026

      FOR THE RECORDS  KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY PRESIDENT BOLA AHMED TINUBU, GCFR, AT THE UNVEILING OF THE NG-CARES ADDITIONAL FINANCING, SOLID, AND HOPE PROGRAMMES

      July 18, 2026

      Court upholds FCCPC’s authority to probe Air Peace ticket pricing dispute

      July 10, 2026

      FG pushes fleet renewal, deepens aircraft partnership with bombardier

      July 10, 2026
    • Sports
    • Features
    • Agriculture
    • Nexter Media
      • NEXTER Radio/FM
      • NEXTER TV
      • Podcast
    Nexter News Nigeria
    Home»News»DHQ explains confusion over terrorist leader’s reported killing
    News

    DHQ explains confusion over terrorist leader’s reported killing

    Tahir AhmedBy Tahir AhmedMay 16, 2026Updated:May 16, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Facebook Instagram
    Share
    WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link

    By Ojima-ojo Abubakar

    The Defence Headquarters has clarified that terrorist commanders often operate under similar names and aliases to conceal their identities, amid controversy surrounding reports on the killing of Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki.

    The clarification followed the re-emergence of reports claiming that a terrorist commander bearing the same name had been killed by troops along the Kaduna–Birnin Gwari axis in 2024.

    The resurfaced reports triggered accusations in some quarters that the military was engaging in counter-terrorism propaganda, with security experts warning that such claims could weaken public confidence and dampen troops’ morale.

    In a statement on Saturday, the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, said the military remained committed to releasing only verified information through official channels.

    Uba explained that the use of similar names, aliases and nom de guerres was common among Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters across the North-East and Lake Chad Basin.

    According to him, the strategy forms part of the terrorists’ indoctrination programme aimed at deliberately obscuring identities during operations.

    He said the Abu-Bilal Al-Minuki neutralised during a joint operation involving the Armed Forces of Nigeria and the United States Africa Command on May 16, 2026, had been positively identified through human intelligence and technical surveillance.

    Uba described the slain commander as a senior global operative within the Islamic State network with links to international terrorist coordination, funding and operations across the Sahel.

    Reacting to the controversy, former Director of the Department of State Services, Mike Ejiofor, said terrorist groups operated through multiple leaders and cells, making it possible for different commanders to bear similar names.

    He recalled that former Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, had reportedly been declared dead several times in the past, adding that the latest operation appeared credible because it was announced by the President of the United States.

    Ejiofor, however, warned that the killing of a terrorist leader would not automatically end insurgent attacks, urging security agencies to remain proactive against possible reprisals while calling on Nigerians to support the military instead of accusing it of propaganda.

    Share. WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Copy Link
    Previous ArticleSemenyo Strikes As Man City Lift Eighth FA Cup
    Next Article Cubana Chief Priest loses primary election for APC reps ticket in Imo
    Tahir Ahmed

    Related Posts

    2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

    August 17, 2026

    Real Warri Pikin cancels Warri show, rejects tribal, political divisions

    August 9, 2026

    Niger: 100 PHC clinics ready for operation in 4 months – commissioner

    August 9, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Advertisement
    Latest Posts

    2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

    ADC group vows to deliver Katsina for Atiku, Kaita

    Real Warri Pikin cancels Warri show, rejects tribal, political divisions

    WAFCON: Algeria beat Ivory Coast 2-1 to reach semi-finals, World Cup

    Trending Posts

    2027: Check competence, past administrative records, clerics tell voters

    August 17, 2026

    Real Warri Pikin cancels Warri show, rejects tribal, political divisions

    August 9, 2026

    Niger: 100 PHC clinics ready for operation in 4 months – commissioner

    August 9, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    © 2026 Nexter News
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.