Close Menu
    What's Trending

    NFF handed Gusau a 24-hour ultimatum to resign

    JAMB: Why scoring 80% may not secure admission for under-16 candidates

    NECO Registrar Professor Dantani Wushishi elected VP AEAA

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Nexter News Nigeria
    • News
    • Politics

      Osun election: KDI flags BVAS failures, vote buying, result gaps

      August 21, 2026

      ADC group vows to deliver Katsina for Atiku, Kaita

      August 15, 2026

      Accord factional chair Imumolen withdraws from presidential race, backs Tinubu

      August 6, 2026

      Advisory council inaugurates 26 LGA coordinators for Wadada’s 2027 guber bid in Nasarawa

      August 1, 2026

      Obanikoro says he no longer wants to be Lagos governor

      July 20, 2026
    • Business

      NUPRC CEO: Falling offshore investments raise skills gap fears in Nigeria’s oil sector

      August 21, 2026

      22 offshore projects to attract $30bn investment by 2030, says NUPRC CEO by

      August 6, 2026

      Dangote to donate one-third of his wealth to charity, daughter reveals

      July 28, 2026

      FOR THE RECORDS  KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY PRESIDENT BOLA AHMED TINUBU, GCFR, AT THE UNVEILING OF THE NG-CARES ADDITIONAL FINANCING, SOLID, AND HOPE PROGRAMMES

      July 18, 2026

      Court upholds FCCPC’s authority to probe Air Peace ticket pricing dispute

      July 10, 2026
    • Sports
    • Features
    • Agriculture
    • Nexter Media
      • NEXTER Radio/FM
      • NEXTER TV
      • Podcast
    Nexter News Nigeria
    Home»Business & Economy»Nigeria orders probe of Meta, X, Google, AI firms over legacy media content
    Business & Economy

    Nigeria orders probe of Meta, X, Google, AI firms over legacy media content

    Tahir AhmedBy Tahir AhmedJuly 7, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Facebook Instagram
    Nigeria orders probe of Meta, X, Google, AI firms over legacy media content
    Nigeria orders probe of Meta, X, Google, AI firms over legacy media content
    Share
    WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Copy Link

    By Abubakar Ojima-ojo

    The Nigerian government has directed the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission to investigate Meta, X, Google’s parent company Alphabet, and several generative AI platforms over allegations that they are undermining Nigeria’s media industry through anti-competitive practices.

    The directive, conveyed in a letter from Information Minister Mohammed Idris, follows a joint petition from the Nigerian Press Organisation, an umbrella body comprising the Newspaper Proprietors’ Association of Nigeria, the Nigeria Union of Journalists, the Broadcasting Organisations of Nigeria and the Guild of Corporate Online Publishers.

    The petition accuses the companies of dominating the digital market in ways that threaten the commercial survival of Nigerian publishers.

    The FCCPC said it will examine claims that the firms unlawfully scraped and used copyrighted news content to train AI models without compensating publishers, and whether Nigerian media houses have been denied fair opportunities to negotiate licensing deals.

    The commission’s chief executive, Tunji Bello, said the inquiry would be independent, transparent and evidence-based, adding that it does not presume any wrongdoing and that all parties will get a chance to respond.

    The case echoes a similar dispute in South Africa, where Google agreed last year to pay local news publishers roughly $40 million annually for several years after a competition commission probe.

    The FCCPC itself fined Meta $220 million in 2025 over separate violations tied to data privacy, a penalty the company is appealing.

    FCCPC FG
    Share. WhatsApp Telegram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email Copy Link
    Previous ArticlePolice arrest father of embattled ‘presidential council’ chief amid N1.3bn fraud probe
    Next Article Marketers project petrol at N800/litre if allowed to import directly
    Tahir Ahmed

    Related Posts

    FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

    August 21, 2026

    NUPRC CEO: Falling offshore investments raise skills gap fears in Nigeria’s oil sector

    August 21, 2026

    22 offshore projects to attract $30bn investment by 2030, says NUPRC CEO by

    August 6, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Advertisement
    Latest Posts

    NFF handed Gusau a 24-hour ultimatum to resign

    JAMB: Why scoring 80% may not secure admission for under-16 candidates

    NECO Registrar Professor Dantani Wushishi elected VP AEAA

    FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

    Trending Posts

    FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

    August 21, 2026

    NUPRC CEO: Falling offshore investments raise skills gap fears in Nigeria’s oil sector

    August 21, 2026

    22 offshore projects to attract $30bn investment by 2030, says NUPRC CEO by

    August 6, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    © 2026 Nexter News
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.